Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Concert

We locked eyes
And mouthed “I love you”
With the excuse of a song
Playing in the arena around us.

You were wearing jeans and heavy boots;
I remember because they thudded loudly
On my carpet later that night
When the right people made the wrong decisions.

We touched noses and I held you there,
The gentle slopes of our faces
Crashing down with waves of dopamine
That lit the world with a feigned fire of forged emotion.

The butterfly kisses were my favorite;
My wings were too short and yours tickled.
Sometimes we’d make them fly to each other,
And our lips would barely brush but that was enough.

“You’re a strange, strange girl,” you said,
and I breathed in deep to save every last molecule of you.
It was the only way you knew how to say “I love you”

When the music stopped and there was nothing to fill the silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment